Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Larry Cohen's Bone




Larry Cohen's BONE (aka Housewife) is one of my favorite films. I expected blaxploitation, but instead what I got was an independent film (Cohen's directorial debut) that is a sort of absurdist play on racism and middle class values.  Yaphet Kotto is brilliant in the lead role.  Well, Yaphet Koto is brilliant in everything, but never did his presence show so much range.  And Jeannie Berlin (Elaine May's daughter) is equally as exciting to watch in a smaller part.
Everything about this film is perfect to me: the color, cinematography, script, acting.   The house used in the film was Cohen's actual home at the time.
I suppose there will never be an independent film made quite like this one.  It was the beginning of a long and exciting career for Cohen as writer/director.  My other Cohen picks are the ones that star Michael Moriarty (The Stuff and Q: The Winged Serpent) which are also, in a sense, strange social satires.

No comments:

Post a Comment